If there is a film to be shot, then the grit and grime starts here. At Manager DJ Webb’s suggestion, we’re going to go ahead and apply for non-profit status. As he’s pointed out, at the time we decide to switch over to profit, we will.
The process from both what I’ve read previously, and what DJ Webb has told me (Webb has filled out a mess of these over the years), is quite intensive. In DJ Webb’s words, “Remember the Death Star wasn’t built in a day”. I’m currently printing out the government documentation (an application for IRS 501c3 status) that needs to be filled out along with it’s instruction book.
Here was DJ Webb’s timeline for us.
- August-September 2005 —- Apply for non-profit status
- August-September 2005 —- Form board of directors, develop bylaws
- October 2005-February 2006 —- Flush out Script, audition for actors
- March 2006 —- Awarded 501 c3 Status
- March 2006 —- Request donations/funding
- April 2006 —- Begin Filming