So here’s a recipe I make a lot. It originated from something I found online. I then gave it to Mike and forgot about it. He made some modifications to it and sent it back to me. I made some more modifications, and this is the end result.
Note: Mike currently has a version of this which is sometimes referred to as Mike’s 14 Hour Beans. Who knows exactly what the details of it are or how good it is. We do know that the last 10 minutes of the cooking are extremely time sensitive…
Black Bean Soup
Prep 15 min • Cook 8 hour • Makes 8 • Source Tim Gray
- 1 lb of dried black beans
- 3 pieces of bacon
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 2 serrano peppers
- 1/2 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- 2 juice limes
1. Sort and wash beans.
2. Finely chop onion, peppers, and garlic.
3. Fry bacon and chop.
4. Fry onions in bacon fat.
5. Add all ingredients to crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours. Alternately, simmer on the stove top in a covered dutch oven for about 6 hours.
6. Near the end, mush the beans against the side to thicken.
Adjust the amount of water added for thicker or more watery beans (1-3 cups of water).
Adjust peppers for desired hotness. You can also add cayenne pepper powder.