There are a lot of great crab recipes on the web and I thought I would add to the mix by providing a recipe for a little known Maryland crab dish. While it goes without saying that Maryland is for crabs, I have a funny feeling that all you Shoreheads out there are going to particularly love this one.
Blue Crab Stuffed with Squirrel Meat
- Choke* the crab (discard the dead man but keep crab meat see step 6).
- Clean, gut and de-bone squirrel (keep the giblets and skin but discard the gizzard – see steps 4 and 6).
- Mince squirrel meat and season liberally with Old Bay brand seasoning mix.
- Stuff crab shell with squirrel meat and wrap the shell in the squirrel skin.*
- Heat oven to 450Â°C and cook crab stuffed with squirrel meat for 15-20 minutes or until done.
- Mince giblets and crab meat. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 5 teapoons of butter (vegans may substitute extra virgin olive oil or EVOO if desired with no decrease in flavor).
- Bring 1/2 cup of water or 1/2 cup of cream to a boil and add giblets-crab mince. Boil for approximately 15-20 minutes until a thick creamy sauce clots on the surface. Add ice water as necessary to help the sauce congeal and skim from the surface.
- Remove crab from oven. Dispose of squirrel skin. Pour the gibblet-crab sauce you’ve skimmed over crab shell and serve with lager or cola.
- Choke – Old Eastern Shore dialect for picking a crab.
- Don’t eat the skin! The skin is only used to cover the crab shell and seal in flavors.
Note: Dragon helped me transcribe this recipe.